Endless cooking possibilities. Lifetime warranty. No gift wrap required!
Have an avid cooking enthusiast or the “what to get the person who has everything?” on your holiday shopping list? Give them the gift of a Big Green Egg, The Ultimate Cooking Experience! And with over 200 fun EGGcessories to choose from, you’ll never worry about another holiday, birthday or anniversary gift idea again. Ever!
With a Big Green Egg you can sear steaks and chops; roast the perfect holiday bird; smoke low and slow and even bake a crispy pizza! Check out some of these great recipe options to make your next meal unforgettable. And don’t worry … the EGG cooks desserts, too … you’ll have to scroll down to see those.
Candied Sweet Potatoe
These sweet potatoes are baked in the EGG, then peeled, sliced and layered in a baking dish. Enhanced with orange juice, brown sugar and corn syrup, they’re topped with thin orange slices, then returned to the EGG and baked until wonderfully caramelized. They are sure to get rave reviews.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1½ cups plus 2 Tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 navel orange, peeled and thinly sliced
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 400°F/204°C.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Turn the potatoes, close the lid of the EGG and continue cooking for 7 to 8 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork. Remove the potatoes from the EGG and cool completely.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into ¼ inch-thick rounds. Lay the potatoes in the baking dish. Sprinkle 1½ cups of the brown sugar evenly over the sweet potatoes. Drizzle with the orange juice and 1 cup of the corn syrup and dot with the butter. Place the orange slices on the sweet potatoes, drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons corn syrup on the orange slices, and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Place the baking dish on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and bake for 1 hour, or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Smokin’ Hot in the South: New Grilling Recipes from the Winningest Woman in Barbecue by Melissa Cookston
- 1 coconut
- ¾ cup solid white vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 4 medium eggs, separated, yolks whisked
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups cake flour
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking at 350°F/177°C, with a Baking Stone. It is very important that you monitor the temperature level of the baking stone. Grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- Drain the liquid from the coconut and reserve. Remove the husk and, using a potato peeler, shave 1 cup of coconut meat. Grate the rest using a box grater.
- In a stand mixer, cream the shortening and ½ cup of the sugar. Add the whisked egg yolks and vanilla and mix for 1 minute. Mix in ¾ cup of the grated coconut.
- In a separate bowl, sift the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Add a quarter of this mixture at a time, alternating with pouring in some of the ¾ cup coconut liquid from the coconut. (If you didn’t get enough from the coconut, add coconut milk from a can or regular milk to make up the difference.) Mix until the wet and dry ingredients are completely integrated into the batter.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gradually whisk in the remaining ½ cup of sugar and fold into the batter using a spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans, place on the baking stone on the grid, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cakes have risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Raise the EGG temperature to 400°F/204°C, place the 1 cup coconut shavings in a pie pan, taking care not to break them up, and place on the grill for 5 minutes (keep an eye on them), until the shavings are browned and toasty.
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 egg whites
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- To prepare the icing, boil the sugar, water, and cream of tartar in a small saucepan until it reaches 242°F/116°C on a candy thermometer. Cover and remove from the heat. Beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until very stiff peaks form, then slowly pour the hot syrup into the egg whites while still blending. Add the vanilla and blend until smooth.
- To assemble, place 1 cake layer on a cake plate and ice, then sprinkle some grated smoked coconut on top of the cake. Add the second layer of cake and cover with icing. Then place the toasted shaved coconut all around and on top of the cake. The cake will keep for 3 to 4 days.
Serves 10 to 12
Very Berry Pizza
Recipe adapted from Pizza on the Grill Expanded, by Elizabeth Karmel and Bob Blumer
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Zest of ½ lemon, finely grated with a Micro- plane or zester
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, for kneading the dough
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ball prepared pizza dough, at room temperature
- ¼ cup uncooked grits or polenta, for rolling the dough
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (such as canola) or nut oil (such as walnut)
- ½ pint fresh blueberries, picked over
- ½ pint fresh raspberries, picked over
- ¼ cup honey
- Combine the ricotta, vanilla, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the ginger, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Reserve for topping.
- Sprinkle the work surface with the flour. Mix the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar with the cinnamon and knead it into the dough. Set aside until ready to make pizza.
- Set the EGG for direct cooking at 400°F/204°C. Preheat a Pizza & Baking Stone.
- Roll out and shape the dough, add to preheated Pizza & Baking Stone ,and cook the first side of the crust. Use tongs to turn the crust over. Continue cooking until the bottom crust is well browned.
- Remove from the EGG and immediately spread it evenly with the ricotta mixture. Let your inner artist dictate how you arrange the berries over the top. Finish with a generous drizzle of honey. Slice and serve immediately.
Serves 2 to 4
*You may also want to try adding the pulp from 2 fresh passion fruits to the ricotta cheese mixture.
*Buy a few extra raspberries and make your own raspberry lemonade.